Y strainer and Y filter products available with free delivery Australia wide*. We supply Y strainers and Y filters to all cities in Australia, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin, Canberra and Hobart.
We are a professional supplier and distributor of pipeline Y strainers in Australia. Contact us for more information on our Y strainer product range.
Facts about Y strainers:
- The Y strainer is a permanent pipeline strainer for filtering out debris and collecting the unwanted objects. Also keeping your pipeline clean to prevent any down time and unnecessary maintenance costs.
- The Y strainer is an economical pipeline strainer, providing a reliable straining function. Protect your equipment from potential damage by catching dirt and debris in the strainer.
- The Y strainer is named after the Y shape design.
- Y strainers can be installed in both a horizontal and vertical position, so long as the inlet and outlet matches the flow direction.
General information about Y strainers:
- Available in a range of sizes and flange specifications.
- Available in a range of materials and surface finishes.
- The internal filter screen is removable and regular cleaning and maintenance is required to keep the correct flow rate going through it, and avoiding build up and causing a restriction in the pipeline.
- Different strainer mesh sizes are available to suit your application. Please consider your working pressure and smallest particle size you would like to strain.
- Y strainer internal filter screens are generally stainless steel and are replaceable as they wear out over time, and can even be damaged by debris over time and if the application is demanding.
- 316 stainless steel body Y strainers are recommended for corrosive applications, and we can even supply Duplex 2205 stainless steel Y strainers on request.
The purpose of a Y strainer:
- To catch debris from flowing further into the pump or piping system. Any debris which are larger than the mesh screen hole size, will be trapped by the internal screen, and collected until the Y strainer is serviced.
- Y shaped body design to house a perforated mesh screen to catch unwanted debris.
- The Y strainer internal mesh screen has a capacity to hold dirt and debris.
- Y strainers are ideally suited for applications which require infrequent cleaning. Applications where not a lot of debris are expected to be caught on a regular basis. This is because Y strainers are difficult to service. Choose a Simplex Basket Strainer or Duplex Basket Strainer to be installed if your application is expected to collect debris on a regualar basis, as a basket strainer will be easier to service.
- Can be installed as a pre-pump strainer on the suction piping before a pump.
- It is a good idea to purchase an extra spare screen, it will make servicing faster with less down time, and if the screen is broken or lost, another screen would be required immediately.
How to service and clean an installed Y strainer:
Servicing and cleaning the Y strainer is important to unblock the piping system, as a full filter screen will definately cause a blockage. Check the pressure on a pressure gauge before and after the Y strainer to help determine if the Y strainer is full and blocked.
- Turn off the pump system.
- Determine which Y strainer is to be serviced and locate the appropriate isolation valve, and close and lock the valves. These could be a butterfly valve, gate valve, ball valve etc.
- Loosen and remove the drain plug from the bottom cover plate of the Y strainer.
- Loosen and remove the nuts and bolts on the cover plate only. Flange nuts and bolts are not to be loosened.
- Remove the cover plate and internal filter screen.
- Clean the cover plate, gasket and filter screen.
- Inspect for any damage such as cracks and tears. Replace damaged parts as required.
- Install the filter screen back into the Y strainer body, with the cover plate.
- Apply anti-seize to nuts and bolts and tighten securing the cover plate back onto the Y strainer body.
- Install the drain plug and tighten.
- When the Y strainer has been put back together correctly, re-open the isolating valves which were closed at the beginning of the service procedure.
- Turn the system back on.
- Inspect the Y strainer for any leaks and check the bolt tightness after 30 minutes of operation.
We also sell pipe spool strainers engineered and designed as a pipe spool to be highly robust and efficient with a drain outlet at the bottom, which can have a flange or lugged valve attached to it. This will ensure the pipe can be emptied of any media caught by the strainer and keep the pipeline clear. The design can have an outlet at the bottom with no bend, if the media is very thick and may need prodding to loosen.
Available with a range of wedge wire screens suitable for flow rate, pressure and media type. It must be mentioned and requested that a wedge wire screen is required, so that perforated screens are not supplied.
Contact DEWATER PRODUCTS for any Y Strainer, Basket Strainer and Pipe Spool Strainer enquiry.